E-Maj: logs and rollbacks table updates
This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
The main goals of E-Maj are:
- log updates performed on one or several sets of tables.
- cancel these updates if needed, and reset a tables set to a predefined stable state.
In development environments, it brings a good help in testing application, providing an easy way to rollback all updates generated by programs execution, and replay these processings as many times as needed.
In production environments, it brings a good solution to:
- keep an history of updates performed on tables to examine them in case of problem
- set inter-batch savepoints on group of tables,
- easily "restore" this group of tables at a stable state, without being obliged to stop the cluster,
- handle several savepoints during batch windows, each of them been usable at any time as "restore point".
It brings a good alternative to the management of several database disk images.
In both environments, being able to examine the history of updates performed on tables can be very helpful in debugging work or for any other purposes.
A detailed documentation can be found at http://emaj.readthedocs.io (in English and in French).
4- Supplied files
- README this readme file
- CHANGES release notes
- LICENSE license information
- AUTHORS who is behind E-Maj
- META.json meta file for PGXN
- sql/emaj--2.0.1.sql extension installation script
- sql/emaj.control extension control file
- sql/emaj--2.0.0--2.0.1.sql extension upgrade script from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1
- sql/emaj--1.3.1--2.0.0.sql extension upgrade script from 1.3.1 to 2.0.0
- sql/emaj--unpackaged--1.3.1.sql script to register 1.3.1 as an extension
- sql/emaj-1.3.0-to-1.3.1.sql psql upgrade script from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1
- sql/emaj-1.2.0-to-1.3.0.sql psql upgrade script from 1.2.0 to 1.3.0
- sql/emaj-1.1.0-to-1.2.0.sql psql upgrade script from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0
- sql/emaj-1.0.2-to-1.1.0.sql psql upgrade script from 1.0.2 to 1.1.0
- sql/emaj-1.0.1-to-1.0.2.sql psql upgrade script from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2
- sql/emaj-1.0.0-to-1.0.1.sql psql upgrade script from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1
- sql/emaj-0.11.1-to-1.0.0.sql psql upgrade script from 0.11.1 to 1.0.0
- sql/emaj-0.11.0-to-0.11.1.sql psql upgrade script from 0.11.0 to 0.11.1
- sql/emaj_uninstall.sql psql uninstallation script
- sql/emaj_demo.sql psql demonstration script
- sql/emaj_prepare_parallel_rollback_test.sql psql script to prepare parallel rollback demonstration
- sql/emaj_upgrade_after_postgres_upgrade.sql psql script that adjust the E-Maj extension after a postgres upgrade
- doc/emaj.2.0.1_doc_en.pdf E-Maj user's guide in English
- doc/emaj.2.0.1_doc_fr.pdf E-Maj user's guide in French
- doc/emaj.2.0.1_pres_en.pdf E-Maj presentation in English
- doc/emaj.2.0.1_pres_fr.pdf E-Maj presentation in French
- php/emajParallelRollback.php external php client for parallel rollback
- php/emajRollbackMonitor.php external php client to monitor in progress rollback operations
5- How to install and use E-Maj
E-Maj can be installed using the usual method for postgres extensions (ie. CREATE EXTENSION emaj;).
The documentation contains all the detailled information needed to install and use E-Maj.
6- E-Maj plugin for phpPgAdmin
A plug-in for phpPgAdmin provides a user friendly E-Maj administration tool. This plugin takes benefit from the plugin architecture brought by phpPgAdmin 5.1+.
The plugin is available on github (https://github.com/beaud76/emaj_ppa_plugin).
It's installation and usage is also described on the documentation.
For additional support or bug report, please contact Philippe BEAUDOIN (phb <dot> emaj <at> free <dot> fr).
Any feedback is welcome, even to just notice you use E-Maj ;-)
E-Maj is also available on github (https://github.com/beaud76/emaj)